[78-L] Whistlers and Harmonica players

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Wed Oct 31 08:59:04 PDT 2012

During the Petrillo musicians' strike in the late
1940s, I sold records at an appliance store in Sisseton, SD.
I only remember the blind guy who appeared on 78s,
but that's all.  And whoever did the theme for
"Just plain Bill."
    How about a new thread?  The Harmonicats were
very popular; we sold a lot of those harmonica discs.  And I
remember Art Mooney stuff sold well, too.  They
tried everything to get music into the hands of the
public.
    Our main labels were Columbia and Capitol.
And probably MGM, too. I think that was Mooney.
A local hardware store had RCA and Decca.  I
bought my first complete LP "Messiah" from the
hardware store.  They let me pay for it in
monthly installments!  It was the Beecham
version of 1949.  I'd like to find it on CD.
That's the version where Sir Thomas told us
why he opted for smaller forces to record his
version.
    Ted
Ted Kneebone
1528 S. Grant Street