[78-L] question for dance band experts

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 24 15:14:20 PDT 2012

"...A string bass would never have been heard in a dance hall." Dl

How do you think the Swing bands managed in Dance Halls?
Bass frequencies tend not to be directional and are audible at lower
volumes.
Britain's own modern day 'Vintage Dance bands' - (Pasadena Roof Orchestra,
Piccadilly Dance Orchestra, Alex Mendham, etc) use Double Bass for much of
their repertoire. And they too often use original charts.

In the studio however, the low frequencies of a Double Bass would not have
been picked up by the early acoustic recording process. In comparison, the
Sousaphone could be pointed directly at the recording horn, and even though
the lowest frequencies were not recorded, enough audio information got
through to the cutting needle.

Regards
Tim Huskisson

78-L at klickitat.78online.com