[78-L] Elbows IN!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Oct 20 13:46:11 PDT 2012

The first picture shows a mish-mosh of equipment of different vintage.
While it might seem that the larger turntables might be Western Electric
ERPI turnstile tables that had originally been used as Vitaphone tables
at the rear of projectors, I think they might really be uncased RCA
70-A's or -B's.  The reproducer that we can see on the large arm does
not seem to be a vertical pickup, so that is why I think it is RCA.  The
-As and -Bs had their arms hanging onto the outside of the case like
these are.  These date from the early to mid 30s.  The smaller arm on
the large table to the left of the picture is a Brush crystal arm from
1937-1940.  The record is a Titan transcription.   The arm on the front
right is probably a Fairchild from the late 30s.  The back support is
the form which continued to be used after the war by GE and Gray.  The
record is a Victor circle label.  the 16 inch label does look like a
World. Yes, there is a 4th turntable on the upper right of the photo.
The mic is an early Shure 55-S internally shockmounted type which might
be early 40s.  And yes, the second picture is of a sound effects
soundtruck and is flipped mirror image.  Fairchild arms again.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com