[78-L] Hayloft Gang documentary

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 20 08:25:10 PDT 2012

On 10/20/2012 9:20 AM, Rjholtin wrote:
> Do any airchecks exist of this national treasure?
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On Oct 20, 2012, at 8:09 AM, David Sanderson <dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/19/2012 10:42 PM, Don Chichester wrote:
>
> Ooops!  I was thinking of WSM.
>
> Don

The old time radio site http://www.otrcat.com has a CD of later shows,
around 1940; I think there are no early transcriptions. WLS launched
Bradley Kincaid, Gene Autry, LuluBelle and Scotty, Louise Massey and the
Westerners, and a good many others.

In terms of radio activities, Kincaid is interesting. He parleyed the
WLS reputation (printed a songbook, sold 10,000 copies over WLS) into
what became a peripatetic career. He would arrive in a city, offer to
perform for free, then use the publicity to book shows in the listening
area. The friend I mentioned earlier listened to Kincaid in 1935 or so
over WBZ/Boston, then attended a show he did here in rural Maine
(Kincaid, the future Grandpa Jones, Joe Troyan). He was far from alone
in moving amongst radio stations, but may have been among the most
businesslike about it.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine