[78-L] Korean Orient

Hopkins/Kato hopkat at sa2.so-net.ne.jp
Fri Oct 19 00:17:07 PDT 2012

Orient was a Japanese label based in Kyoto from the late 1910s till
absorbed, I think by Columbia, in the early 1930s. I've never seen any label
that looked like this or used the word viva-tonal. All the characters are
Chinese, which are/were used by both Korean and Japanese as well. The
phonetic script is only Korean.
There weren't a lot of Korean language records on 78 from the era when Korea
was a Japanese colony, as far as I can tell, but there was a Korean Okeh
lable, so maybe there was a culture of piracy of records?
Could easily be late 40s or early 50s for all that.

Kato-Hopkins