[78-L] 1920s Ukrainian Klezmer!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Oct 18 10:18:32 PDT 2012

Because the Soviet Union was established by 1918, I don't think that
these recordings from the 1920s are pre-Soviet.  To me these are fairly
standard folk and popular recordings aimed at the regular Ukrainian
emigrants, largely CHRISTIAN.  Since "Klezmer" is a term which was
coined in the 1970s to define JEWISH music -- which was more often
called "Freilech"  in earlier years -- I don't think these records can
be called Klezmer.

Klezmer had originally referred to the musicians, but because freilech
means joyous or happy, the revivalists of this Jewish music wanted a
single term that would include sad and sentimental music.  So the word
describing the musicians now describes all of their music and Freilech
is now a category of Klezmer. But Ukrainian folk music is Ukrainian folk
music -- let them find their own term.

that being said, there is a bit of cross-fertilization among the
different ethnic groups and countries.  Just as standard American pop
songs can be heard in blues, jazz, "hillbilly", and vice-versa, the
second side you included, "Oj, ne chody Hryclu" becomes the Yiddish song
"Yuh, Mein Liebe Tochter" "Yes My Darling Daughter."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbMB-YKxgTY&playnext=1&list=PL6B143C495E2C29FA&feature=results_video
 (I don't think you can consider this Barry Sisters recording Klezmer!
It really is Yiddish Swing!)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com