[78-L] oldest metal parts

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sun Oct 14 05:46:59 PDT 2012

Are you referring to US Berliners or the German discs? Direct cut
commercial recordings or stampers?

Some of the commercial recordings that were produced by Emile Berliner's
brother in Germany 1890-1893 were direct cut zinc discs, as opposed to
the usual hard rubber pressings.
These (positive) zinc discs have, probably, all been played, whereas the
stampers (whether the original father plate or stampers made from
positive mother plates) could be pretty fresh.
And when we talk about "metal parts", we mean stampers, don't we?
Kristjan

>>> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com