[78-L] Howard Scott obit

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 7 20:32:19 PDT 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/arts/music/howard-h-scott-a-developer-of-the-lp-dies-at-92.html?hpw&_r=1&

The transfers were made from 16-inch lacquers, not 78s, but that fact is too
complicated for young journalists to comprehend. What I'm curious about is how
they did those dubs without back-cuing the discs, since that would ruin them.
Does anyone know? Did the 16-inch originals have lead-in grooves? That would
enable you to count the number of turns from a given point at the outside. The
other week I was listening to Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony on Columbia ML 4052.
The joins are absolutely undetectable except for a tempo change in the first
movement, and I know the 78s. (The tempo change was the result of a two or
three week hiatus between recording sessions, by the way.)