[78-L] Familliar voices

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Oct 1 19:52:07 PDT 2012

From: Don Chichester <dnjchi78 at live.com>
>> I was at an ARSC meeting in Philadelphi IIRC, and we visited the Edison
>> Historic Site. As we left we each were given a CD, of Edison material. IIRC >> we were told it was Sony's 'first CD'. Was it their first?  Don Chichester

It was a NYC ARSC, 87 or 88  -- West Orange is a lot closer to NYC than
to Phila.  It was one of the first two CDs manufactured in new CD
factory that Columbia and Sony jointly opened in the U.S.  The other
disc was Springsteen's Born In The USA.  Only 1000 copies of The Edison
CD Sampler were pressed at that time, but later in the year when their
new CD plant was opened in Austria another pressing was made.  Prior to
this, most of the factories were in Japan, Holland, Germany, and the UK.

> From: dlennick at sympatico.ca
> When was the CD launched? I was present when a demonstration was done live to
> the network (and live to each region, instead of the usual hour-by-hour tape
> delay) on CBC's "Stereo Morning", and it was before September because I was
> doing the summer hosting gig on Morningside at the time.  dl

Bob Angus wrote on the list about being at the introduction of the CD
ceremony and banquet that was held in Europe, probably simultaneously
with one in Japan. I supposed it was Sept 1982.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com