[78-L] Transco discs and the Orthacoustic Curve?

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 4 20:48:08 PDT 2012

I just got a set of eight 16" Transco ETs in the mail today.  Great stuff,
including the Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors.  Here's a listing for those out
there who are keeping a running score of existing Transco dance band ETs:

Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 6 A, Mx. A-566
Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 6 B, Mx. A-567

Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 7 A, Mx. A-568
Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 7 B, Mx. A-569

Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 9 A, Mx. A-598
Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 9 B, Mx. A-599

Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 11 A, Mx. A-649
Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 11 B, Mx. A-650

Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 12 A, Mx. A-651
Slim Martin and His Transco All-Americans, Program 12 B, Mx. A-652

Transco Orchestra, Program 8 A, Mx. A-603
Transco Orchestra, Program 8 A, Mx. A-604

Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors Series C, Program 11 A (Jimmie Grier & his
Orchestra), Mx. A 809
Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors Series C, Program 11 B (Jimmie Grier & his
Orchestra), Mx. A 810

Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors Series C, Program 12 A (Jimmie Grier & his
Orchestra), Mx. A 811
Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors Series C, Program 12 B (Jimmie Grier & his
Orchestra), Mx. A 812

Now the interesting part: First Generation Radio Archives has released the
four Jimmie Grier programs on CD -
http://www.radioarchives.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RA075
and estimates they date from 1932.  These labels have handwritten dates on
them ranging from the late '30s to the early '40s, which means these discs
were kept in circulation for at least 10 years.  No big deal, you say?
Well, they're shellac pressings!  How they weren't broken somewhere along
the way is pretty amazing.

I'm really curious to know when the Orthacoustic curve began to be adopted.
I think 1932 is far too early, and I've been playing these dsics back with
the turnover set to 400 Hz, which sounds fine.  Would radio stations in 1932
have been able to easily adjust the bass characteristic of the turntables?
What would have been their choices?

This is some really great music!

Sammy Jones