[78-L] Berliner recording date questions

L78rpm at aol.com L78rpm at aol.com
Sun Sep 2 05:41:29 PDT 2012

It may/(probably?) come from one of his earlier recording  sessions ---
summer/autumn 1897 or spring 1898.  But I have no firm  information about this.
  See James Smart's The Sousa Band:  A Discography  (Library of Congress,
1970), which also  documents Sousa's cylinder output.

477 (no letter suffix) was recorded in August 1898.  (I take the  numbers
898 on the face of the disc to represent a month and year.)  477 Z  is dated
5 March 1899.

Paul Charosh

 In a message dated 9/1/2012 12:58:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,