[78-L] Earl Hines' "Skylark"

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:19:23 PDT 2012

Cary,

I asked Budd specifically about Skylark as I love the arrangement. Johnson
pointed to himself. That's all I can tell you. I can also tell you that in
my conversations with Budd, he was like Benny Carter as he never took
credit for something if he wasn't absolutely sure.

Johnson was the type of arranger (again like Carter) who could write very
generically. Both were believers in giving a leader something in the
leader's style. However, I'm sure you know that Johnson was also musical
director at least some of the time during his tenure in Eckstine's big
band. Frank Foster told me that Budd was one of the great underrated
musicians in jazz who did much more than he is known for.

If you picked his brain, he was an encyclopedia of the times he was on the
scene. He told me he was writing an autobiography, but he never even
started it as far as I know. That's a real pity. He didn't want someone
else to do it and make all the money.

Jeff S.