[78-L] Pre-recorded DAT..ever seen one?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Aug 20 23:04:53 PDT 2012

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Wonder what Country Und Trucker Songs sounds like?
> Perfect for the autobahn.
>  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCC-digitale-compact-cassette-Country-und-Trucker-songs-/290761031700    dl

Ja!  Ich habe diese on CD.  Willie Nelson cover:  "Auf die autobahn . .
."  Leah und Ich singt diese on unser autofahrten.

By the way, Bertrand was correct. These are Philips DCC tapes, NOT what
all you guys are mistakenly calling DAT.  Your system was supposed to be
called R-DAT for ROTARY Digital Audio Tape, as opposed to S-DAT which
used Stationary heads.  DCC also used stationary heads in a cassette the
same size as analog compact cassettes.

Jack mentioned that Schwann had listed DATs for a short time.  My
favorite issue of Schwann is the August 1989 Schwann CD where the cover
is a faux newspaper article with the photo of Rosemary Wood's stretch
under the headline "EXTRA  DATS Deleted!!" "CD-3s The Next To Go" and
the caption "Unlike Rose Mary Wood's 18 1/2 minute erasure, it's
perfectly clear that this DT deletion is no mistake."

Mike (i'm not a crook) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com