[78-L] Casa Loma "White Jazz"

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Aug 20 13:06:08 PDT 2012

I just bought  a V+ condition copy of the Casa Loma Orchestra doing
White Jazz b/w Blue Jazz (Br 6611). From the very beginning of the White
Jazz cut it sounds like the horns are distorting - breaking up at the
upper end of the range. Could it be that the master was cut too hot? But
the drums sound great throughout!
I've also heard this kind of breakup on records that have been played
with worn steel needles.
If it wasn't recorded as late as it was (1931) I'd have thought it was
made by their Light Ray process. Gah.
What gives? Are other pressings just as bad?
Mal