[78-L] The Absolute Nadir of Quality Control

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 18 19:20:05 PDT 2012

There's a Bruno lp of a Shostakovich Quartet or Quintet which is bootlegged
from a Russian lp, and the damn thing is at least 10% fast by the end of the
side..I say "at least" because 9.9% in either direction was all the variation I
could do on the Technics turntable.

There is also a Mills Brothers CD which plays about 6% slow because of a weird
technical problem in processing. It was transferred by John R. T. Davies, who
would never be that far off, and I could only surmise that somehow a DAT
recorded at 48k was reproduced at 44.1k instead of being converted. I also once
heard an entire concert being played too fast on WXXI-FM. I knew all the music,
and I also knew that it was at least a tone sharp..and I knew something was
wrong when it ended 5 or 6 minutes early and was followed by 5 or 6 minutes of
dead air.

As for that Grey Gull record, anything's possible..I think some early Maurice
Chevalier Columbia electricals are recorded at 73rpm.

dl