[78-L] Does anybody know when the various recording companies realized that they needed an Artist and Repertoire administrator?

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Aug 13 19:40:58 PDT 2012

I believe that's correct. Peer was TR's supervisor at one point.
Possibly the term "A&R man" (that stands for Artist & Repertory, in case
anyone was wondering) grew out of the combination of talent scout,
producer, promoter, bottle washer & nursemaid in one person. The more
specialized terms "Personal Manager" and "Booking Agent" may have
developed out of the A&R man.
Mal

*******