[78-L] Flojay meets Hoffnung

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Aug 11 11:40:10 PDT 2012

On 8/11/2012 11:06 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> Good grief! Names please? Also put your hands where I can see them.

It was an unreleased Diamond Disk and the "singer's" name was Ethel
Stanley. This session is discussed in Dick Hill's "Sylvester Ahola, The
Gloucester Gabriel." The banjoist was my wife's grandfather, Lou
Calabrese. The short-lived group's name was "Hooley Ahola's Vikings',
and comprised Al Philburn, Ernie Warren, Phil Wall, Thurlow Darrow,
Johnny Morris, Lou and Hoolie. It was an unauthorized Specht side job
(he was usually tolerant of them, though he was a stickler for
contracted performances). The singer was foisted upon the group when
they came to record on December 17, 1926 at the New York studios.
I am not going to leave this up. Still can be heard in
http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/14658
http://bixbeiderbecke.com/mybabysback.mp3
http://bixbeiderbecke.com/lookingatheworld.mp3
Hooley's remarks