[78-L] Marvin Hamlisch dies

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 7 16:53:50 PDT 2012

For what it's worth, I never had any problem with "The Way We Were" or most of
the music from "A Chorus Line" (just don't force me to ever sit through that
self-pitying whining piece of sh*t). And Hambone did aquit himself well on the
Groucho at Carnegie Hall concert/album. But sometime in the 70s I saw "They're
Playing Our Song" on Broadway, with Robert Klein and probably Lucie Arnaz, and
I kept thinking that if they'd just remove all those crappy Hamlish-Sager songs
they'd have a very funny Neil Simon Play.

Hamlisch was the credited music director on "Pennies From Heaven", even though
Billy May was the real brains, and Hamster insisted on voicing the slates
himself during the recording sessions. This was told to me by a colleague who
was there. I have no regard for Marblehead whatever. He was associated with the
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra for a few years, doing pops and Christmas
concerts, and any time I heard him interviewed, he sounded either sloshed or
sick. As for The Sting, what did he do other than edit Schuller's
orchestrations (i.e. cut the tunes down to jukebox length)?

dl