[78-L] Marvin Hamlisch dies

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Tue Aug 7 14:08:36 PDT 2012

I was very angry at Hamlisch at the Academy Award ceremonies that year when he accepted his STING Oscar - not even one mention of Joplin's name the whole night, and I never forgave that; at the time he just seemed an arrogant guy who was lucky.  I had a piano teacher then who in addition to my Chopin, Beethoven, and other standard lit was willing to work with me on the Joplin, Joseph F. Lamb, and James Scott I brought in excitedly.  (This teacher also put me onto Gottschalk, a lifelong love.) Ignoring Joplin at the Oscars raised my immature indignation. After that  I always referred to Hamlisch as "Ham-misch" and my mother playing the CHORUS LINE lp over and over on our Zenith console drove me crazy; when the family went to see the show in LA I deliberately opted out.  I think he changed once things weren't so lucky and effortless for him; I'm sorry he passed at a time when I think he was contributing something beyond his compositions to musical life, had some personal perspective that showed in his interviews, and it saddens me now that he's gone.