[78-L] Bill Cox

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Aug 6 18:24:32 PDT 2012

Just pulled out my copy of "Billy Cox: The Dixie Songbird" on Kanawha 305. It came out in 1967. The album has an insert which includes about as complete a biography of Cox as has been done, along with notes on how he learned all of the songs recorded on the LP. These were all new versions of his songs, recorded at his home in Charleston, WV in 1966.  Here are the titles:

SIDE 1
The Battle Axe and the Devil
The Fiddling Soldier
Franklin D. Roosevelt's Back Again
The Democratic Donkey
Filipino Baby
Old Pinto and Me
Alimony Woman
Blind Baggage Blues

SIDE 2
Dang My Pop-Eyed Soul
Sweet Eloise
Blue and Low
Jailer's Daughter
Rolling Pin Woman
Wino's Last Prayer
Girl in the Hillbilly Band
They Sent Her Gun to War
Brown's Ferry Blues

Cox sounds pretty much as he did when he recorded in the 1930s. It's really a very pleasant album. Cox was never much of a guitarist; just good enough to change chords. He does play harmonica as he did on many of his records as well. The album notes credit Eugene Earle and David Polacheck for assistance, but the author of the notes is not identified.

Cary Ginell