[78-L] Goofy

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 04:17:34 PDT 2012

Mark wrote:Another example would be the father of our neighbor, Harv Cox, who died
several years ago at a ripe age. He played with Gene Autry for a time,
was very talented. He headed country western bands that traveled
throughout the midwest during the depression. They were never recorded
until the 70's and are basically forgotten except for a few brief
mentions in dedicated books.

>>> Hmm, why does this remind me of Bill Cox, "The Dixie Songbird"? He managed to survive the depression and even recorded in the accursed year of1932. But nothing, save a single 45 in 1966, after 1940. He was one of WestVirginia's main contributions to country music, and yet biographical details aresorely lacking, you seldom hear his name and there are no reissues that I knowof apart from "NRA Blues" on one of the New World compilations from the1970s. In terms of biography, you often run into the line "A reckless lifestyle prevented Cox from realizing much benefit from his skills." Oh you meanlike that espoused in "My Rough and Rowdy Ways"? How convenient! Thatdoes not explain the extraordinary output listed below. http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/2012/06/bill-cox.html

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com