[78-L] New book marks Columbia's 125th birthday

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 06:33:45 PDT 2012

Back in May I was the large Book Expo Ameruca in NY and stopped by the
Chronicle Books booth where they "pitched" me the Sound 360 book. They showed me
the cover which I thought was colorful - though I'm not an expert like Ryan on
label details. I opened it to see what was inside. Of course, it was a few
hundred blank pages! It was a mockup to sell to booksellers and the rep said
they hadn't finished final editing yet at that time.

I'm on the list to get a copy but probably not till Fall. It's aimed at
holiday gift book season. Will report when I see a copy.

As far as Wilentz being a folk and rock author writing a recording history
book, look at Bob Santelli. He is Exec Director at the Grammy Museum was was ED
at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, yet wrote the new book "This Land is Your Land"
on Woody Guthrie. (which I thought was just okay but not a lot of depth) and
"co-wrote and produced" the WONDERFUL "Woody @ 100" Book and CD set from
Smithsonian Folkways with our buddy archivist Jeff Place. You can easily pick
out the parts Jeff wrote. He writes great notes and he is in "the trenches". But
Santelli has the "exposure"

BTW, I looked at that $249 set of books including the Wilentz book and Marsh
book. I'm a bit confused. Why is it so pricey. Are these two books leather bound
in that edition.?

Steve Ramm