[78-L] Frequency Response/Range for 78's

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Mon Jul 30 13:15:14 PDT 2012

Milan,

You are right.

My understanding is that WE and Bell Labs created a special cutter for
recording vertically cut 16" transcription discs with an extended high
frequency response.  I don't know the particulars, but many collectors
have commented on the remarkable sound of these discs.

Engineers John Pierce and Ted Hunt (whose names should be remembered
forever and especially every time Peter Goldmark's name is mentioned),
developed a light weight cartridge (aprox. 2 grams) which reproduced the
range from 30 Hz to 18 kHz!  They reported their results in November of
1937 at the Acoustical Society meeting in Ann Arbor. Their paper was
published in early 1938 and they continued improvements until 1940.
These developments were essential to the later success of the LP.

They also demonstrated that listeners could hear the difference when a
filter was inserted at 11 kHz, contradicting the "experts" who assumed
that people didn't want high frequency response!

Pierce was also responsible for the studies which demonstrated the superiority
of lateral over vertical recording geometry.

Giants walked the Earth!

Doug

> Message: 14
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:48:40 +0200
> From: "Milan P Milovanovic" <milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Frequency Response/Range for 78's
> To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> It is interesting that on some professionally recorded 16" lacquer discs
> frequency range is extended up to 15 kHz or even more, and these are from
> 1946.
>
> I own one of these gems. Mine is filled with tunes (two takes of the same
> tune, in fact) for Chesterfield show recorded in that year in Hollywood.

<SNIP>

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
Transfers of metal parts, lacquers,