[78-L] Frequency Response/Range for 78's

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 12:11:07 PDT 2012

Hi,

As Mike says, Nick Bergh is doing valuable research on this subject. Nick
has first-hand knowledge of the equipment used from the very beginning
of electrical recording.

The July 1953 issue of Audio Engineering magazine reprints two figures
showing (1) the frequency response of the original Western Electric wax
recorder and the modifications to it by WE and RCA (in 1938), and (2)
the recording characteristics of Victor records from 1925 to the present:

The curves are not "written in stone" because most record companies did
some experimenting, especially with bass filters.  But in general they show
the high frequency capability of the original cutter was about 4 kHz and
it went out to 6 kHz after improvements to the rubber line cutter, and out
to about 8 kHz with the 1938 improvements, and out to about 10 kHz
by 1947.  By 1952, the New Orthophonic system extended the response
to beyond 12 kHz.
>>>Thanks Doug for your valuable input on this. I understand that we areloath to "write in stone" the chronological capabilities of frequency response. But it is useful to know what to expect, and would be evenmore useful to note instances where the expectation is exceeded, such as in some of the Victor remote recordings of the 1920s. >>>
I the early years, Victor and Columbia were using the same WE cutters,
and their records reflect this.  Other companies used a variety of other
equipment, and may sound different (often worse).
>>>One thing I'd like to know is why if the frequency response was expandedin 1938 why those records sound worse than the ones from 1932. You ofanyone is familiar with the tortured history of Artie Shaw's "Frenesi," bornwith a bad buzz which just got louder and louder with each reissue. >>>>
Some collectors of 78s have claimed to hear "overtones" far higher in
frequency than the cutter known to have been used could possibly have
cut (even at a very low level), ignoring the elementary laws of physics.
Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com