[78-L] HMV matrix symbols

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 25 11:28:04 PDT 2012

Bb and Cc (10" and 12") were in use from the 1920s, with BR and CR for
electrical recordings from remote locations. At the beginning of 1931 a new
system went into operation, 0B (that's zero-B) and 2B for 10-inch and 12-inch.
0EA and 2EA date from a little later (don't have that info in front of me). The
symbols were a triangle, introduced in 1925, for Electrical, then the swastika
briefly during 1932 until somebody noticed that someone else had appropriated
that old Sanskrit symbol, and thereafter the square was used.

Info from "Elgar On Record" notes.

dl