[78-L] PBS History Detectives Tonight (Tue)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 24 17:54:03 PDT 2012

on 7/24/12 12:58 PM Bill Knowlton wrote:
>> I can hardly wait to see the History Detectives' "investigation"
>> of the KKK record(s) tonight..
>> Will they mention the threatened quitting of the Roman
>> Catholic recording engineer who refused to make the KKK record?

To the contrary.  They said that Ezra Wickemeyer, the engineer, was a
MEMBER OF THE KLAN!!!!!!

>> and what will they say about Gennett Records as a whole??

That the Gennett family were not Klan and did not want to be identified
with the Klan, thus there is no company identification on the records.
They say it was an important company and discuss and play the King
Oliver Creole Jazz Band records recorded 5 weeks earlier.

>> Based on some of their past perfoermances this should really
>> be something!!  BILL KNOWLTON

They're getting better and not showing too many dead ends, except one
expert had never seen any Klan records before.  They did go to the
Indiana Historical Society and looked through the early part of the
Gennett ledger that George Blacker retyped.

From: Elizabeth McLeod <lizmcl at midcoast.com>
> And most important, will they pronounce the guest expert's
> name right?   Elizabeth

Did they?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com