[78-L] Dumb Question du jour

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:52:19 PDT 2012

It depends on the type of cylinder and the time period it was recorded.  As
I understand it the very early Bell-Tainter and earliest brown wax
cylinders ran at around 120 rpm (some talking cylinders were slower).  Then
in the early 1890s the speed was raised to 144 rpm.  Somewhere toward the
end of the 1890s it was raised to 160 rpm which remained more or less the
standard ever after.  (Home-recorded cylinders will be different, of
course.  IIRC I understand Lionel Mapleson's live recordings at the Met
were actually recorded at something like 200 rpm!)

Others here with better memories, more experience and clearer facts will
get the dates more accurate for you....