[78-L] Buddy Moreno - 100 TODAY

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jul 14 10:27:57 PDT 2012

That early incarnation of the Griff Williams Orch. was actually the
"Williams-Walsh Orchestra,"  co-led by Griff and trombonist Jim Walsh.
They had both played with Anson Weeks at the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco,
but stayed behind at that hotel when Weeks headed to Chicago.

The Williams-Walsh Orch made four really good sides for Decca and a bunch of
transcriptions...Buddy is on some of the latter.

Buddy Moreno is on the first 78rpm record I remember handling...my mom's
copy of  In The Middle of May b/w Surprise Party on Cosmo.  Artist credit
Four Chicks and Chuck with Buddy Moreno.  Great tight harmony 40s sound.
The "Chuck" was Chuck Goldstein,  the jolly-looking guy from The
Modernaires.

I still have that same copy,  along with about four others I've picked up
over the years.  It's really a great record although no one seems to care
about it but me!

Taylor