[78-L] Max Steiner, "Symphonie Moderne"

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 10 05:42:24 PDT 2012

It was prominent enough at the time to have had a dance version done by Freddy
Martin. Janssen recorded a number of "high classy" film themes for the Red Seal
label, including "Laura" (at least that one was a good tune), which were later
reissued on a Camden lp. One of them, Bernard Herrmann's "Hangover Square Piano
Concerto", never appeared on 78. Victor then gave up and had Henri Rene and Al
Goodman do the film themes on Black Label, then gave one more shot to
respectability with the Boston Pops doing "Lust in the Dust" (sorry, Duel in
the Sun") as a 4-disc Red Seal set complete with illustrations.

As for Warsaw Concerto..it's still popular, so who am I to judge? As for
Cornish Rhapsody..just a ripoff of the Warsaw Concerto. But at least it's two
minutes shorter.

dl