[78-L] Speaking of cuing transcriptions..wuz Re: Edward VIII Abdication on records

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 2 23:04:48 PDT 2012

You know, they could have rehearsed with pressings, marked them up with
grease pencils, and then transferred the markings to a fresh set of
pressings or (gasp) the lacquer originals...

I tend to think there must have been some mechanism that counted
revolutions, much as we have tape counters on modern audio tape decks.  Some
where (I can't remember where at the moment) I read that the sound on disc
engineers in the late '20s edited the sound by counting grooves and could
get VERY accurate, usually withing a frame or two (they were editing to
film).  Fast forward 20 years later, and it's not hard to imagine that disc
dubbing/editing systems could be quite advanced.

Another thought...even if the 16" lacquers were not continuous recordings,
but more or less reflected the content of one side of a finished 10" or 12"
record, there could have been several seconds to a minute's worth of
overlapped content--plenty of time to get the next disc going with a hand on
the playback speed control to get everything in sync.  My Jack Benny ETs
from 1948 and '49 are recorded over three sides of two 16" discs with
several minutes' worth of overlap so that the grooves never even come close
to the label area.  I believe these were intended for replay on an ad hoc
network put together by American Tobacco, and so the playback engineers
would have had to get the next disc cued up and running on the fly.  And
with a radio broadcast, there's not really a chance to make the matrix over
again...

Sammy Jones

David Lennick wrote:
Tape was beginning to be known, but as far as I know, the first use of it by
Columbia was to produce "I Can Hear It Now" in 1948. And for what it's
worth,
early lps that were done from tape masters in 1949 sound far worse than the
earliest ones dubbed direct..I've just been listening to a number of them in
the last couple of weeks and some of the transfers are amazing. It probably
required a couple of engineers who could read scores and someone to have
previously timed the sides, but my question is really..did they mark the
start
points somehow or did they (shudder) actually cue up the discs? Oh, as for
pitch changes, you can hear those. Nothing was perfect. The Prokofieff Fifth
Symphony conducted by Rodzinski on ML 4037 changes pitch very slightly every
4
minutes, but the joins are beautiful (with some possible overlaps where they
were necessary to keep the music flowing). So how dey do dat?

dl