[78-L] Mae Questel

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Jul 1 19:29:28 PDT 2012

On 7/1/2012 8:19 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> Randy Watts wrote:
>>> at one point he said she did make the claim that her record of "On the Good Ship Lollipop"
>>> sold over a million copies and "saved Decca." I was not aware that her record sold
>>> extraordinarily well or that Decca was in need of salvation at the time.
> From: Mark Bardenwerper <citrogsa at charter.net>
>> She did suffer from Alzheimer's.
>> Seriously, it is not that far fetched. At a time when record companies
>> were foundering in droves and a good selling record was perhaps 50,000,
>> a 2 million seller must have been quite a gold mine.
> It is very, very, very, very, very, very, very far fetched that this
> record sold more than 20,000 copies let alone 2 million.  NOTHING in the
> 1930s sold anywhere near that, even HUGE hits.  This is not a common
> record.  How many copies have you ever seen??  I've never seen one.  But
> I've seen dozens of Amapola.

I have read it in several places as being more like a million, which is
still quite a few.
Think though how many of these were bought and just chewed up. It wasn't
a record that was played once and slipped into the back of the cabinet.
As a kid I would have played it to death, like I did Dark Side Of The
Moon or Sergeant Pepper's.
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Ship-Lollipop-Bright-Sawdust/dp/B0042KPP6I
Find one in good shape if you can.

>> Even the big boys were suffering. Look at the demise of Brunswick,
>> which was swallowed by ARC (Decca).    Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.
> ARC was not Decca.  The mergers were rather complicated, but Brunswick
> was doing relatively well in the mid to late 30s as the full price pop
> label of ARC before ARC was taken over by CBS in 1938.  In the early 40s
> Columbia turned the pre-ARC part of Brunswick over to Decca.  Decca
> never had anything to do with ARC.

Thanks for straightening me out.

>>> Since we're talking about her, it's a good time to ask, does anybody have any idea
>>> if there's any truth in what she said, or was she suffering from the kind of
>>> career-enhancing "False Memory Syndrome" that sometimes plagues aging performers.
> BINGO!!

I forgot my troll

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.