[78-L] early 30s LP question

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sun Jul 1 12:12:06 PDT 2012

This is hardware related.  Queries to the phono collectors have not turned
up much info.  I have a counterweight designed for straight arms with
markings that it is to be used with LP records.  I've also just acquired
(although it has not been delivered yet) a triangular one on E-bay.  Both
have their interior slots lined with orange felt.   I'm guessing either
Victor or an enterprising accessory company sold these as part of a kit to
allow the playback of LP records in the 1930s.  Anyone have any information
on them?  No manufacturer is indicated on the one I have in hand.  The sad
part is, having two of these now makes me a collector of LP counterweights
8-)

Thanks,

Ron L