No subject

Tue Jun 26 11:46:29 PDT 2012

urprise when I opened =0A> the bubble package & CD case to see these beauti=
fully colored bronze Pearl =0A> CDs. The color is quite nice, & gives an an=
tiqued look as the rim edges =0A> are a darker bronze than the main body of=
 the CD. As I stared at the CDs =0A> it dawned on me that I had some CDs wi=
th "the bronzing syndrome" right in =0A> front of my four eyes! So I placed=
 the first CD into a portable Sony =0A> boombox player & hit "PLAY". No pro=
blem with the first track. Advancing =0A> tracks I found that the last trac=
k, #32, has an i=0A> ntermittent "static noise" that comes & goes. So much =
for May Irwin's =0A> "When You Ain't Got No Money, You Needn't Come Around"=
 from 1907. I plan =0A> to get Archeophone's reissue of May Irwin's recordi=
ngs, so I'm not too =0A> grief-stricken as yet. And I have two or three of =
the Victor 78s(including =0A> "The Bully Song", which contains the "N-word"=
 8 times in 3:28 minutes!).=0A>=0A> I will do some searches of course, but =
I thought first I'd toss this out =0A> there & ask the 78-L family what sol=
utions(if any) there might be for =0A> extracting the maximum tracks from t=
hese flawed CDs. I will try playing =0A> them in computer drives, DVD playe=
rs, LD players & see which lasers can =0A> read the most number of damaged =
tracks. So far I haven't gotten to discs =0A> two & three. I suppose then I=
 should burn them to new CD-R media ASAP. Any =0A> tips are appreciated. Od=
dly, last week I got "Music From The New York =0A> Stage-volume four:1917-1=
920" , & those discs play fine all the way =0A> through. They are the norma=
l shiny silver hue. Both Pearl sets say made in =0A> UK by PDO & both have =
a 1993 copyright year on them. I also remember the =0A> RCA/BMG Caruso set =
with the colored batwing CDs that deteriorated & became =0A> unreadable. My=
 set from 1995 has the usual silver discs.=0A>=0A> The digital compact disc=
, "Perfect sound forever". Pressed or burned, it =0A> doesn't seem to be a =
guarantee of permanence at all. Since 2003 I've =0A> bought CD-R issues fro=
m James Lockwood's "78s2CD", Glenn Sage's "Tinfoil", =0A> & several sets fr=
om First Generation Radio Archives. The Radio Archives =0A> sets used a mix=
 of CD-Rs, all cheapies with brands such as Circuit City, =0A> Office Max, =
etc. All were computer burned CD-Rs & several discs from each =0A> of these=
 vendors have tracks that are static-ridden, skip, or are just =0A> plain u=
nreadable. Chris Clawson's "Meloware" CD-Rs have held up fine. They =0A> ar=
e all TDK. I've always had a policy of not burning my own CD-Rs of =0A> tit=
les I've bought, & have actually gone back to a vendor to buy =0A> addition=
al copies if I want to gift them to someone. But no more. In 2000 =0A> I bo=
ught a Pioneer PDR-W739 CD recorder, which functions perfectly to this =0A>=
 day(knock wood). It came with a 10-pack of TDK music-type CD-Rs, & I =0A> =
bought another 10-pack of Memorex branded ones at the sa=0A> me time. All o=
f them still play today, including the much maligned Memorex =0A> discs.=0A=
>=0A> I got into CDs relatively late, in 1994. I was fascinated by the =0A>=
 technology & couldn't wait to get my hands on a CD audio recorder as soon =
=0A> as the prices dropped to a reasonable "component" level. Now I have =
=0A> three(the other two are Sonys). But with CDs & CD-Rs that fail, downlo=
ads =0A> of unsatisfying bit rates, memory sticks & hard drives that also f=
ail I'm =0A> sure glad I've got a few thousand actual 78s & eight Victrolas=
/Grafonolas =0A> to play them on. Now to grab a handful of steel needles & =
head towards the =0A> Credenza!=0A>=0A> Dennis "Shellac-a-phobia" Forkel=0A=
ng list=0A78-L at klickitat.78online.com=0Ahttp://klickitat.78online.com/mailm=
an/listinfo/78-l