[78-L] Whitburn 1938 - was: Three Shif'less Skonks?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jun 25 15:42:02 PDT 2012

From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> In case you need another version, the Light Crust Doughboys also recorded
> that song for Vocalion in '38, I believe. I can send an MP3 if you like.
> Cary Ginell

Did THAT version also have the line that they are from the hills of
Tennessee and they don't like flatland furriners at all?  I've never
heard this song before and I can't believe that some real Southerners
would actually sing and record a song that ADMITS the REALITY that
Southern Hospitality is a SHAM!!!!!!!  (Real hill people are hospitable
to those that grew up with them, usually in the same county, and
mistrust outsiders -- even those who are from the next county.  New
Yawkers might not like the people who live in the next apartment, the
same block, or are life-long New Yawkers, but they LOVE to greet and
help outsiders!  You want Southern Hospitality, come visit New Yawk.
You want icy stares, come visit us down South, ya all!)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: rjh334578 at yahoo.com

From: J. E. Knox <rojoknox at metroeast.org>