[78-L] Cleaning bare aluminum discs?

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Mon Jun 25 13:24:46 PDT 2012

Hi,

I use a "paint edger" which is a flat pad with very soft, small
bristles,
perfect for cleaning all coarse-grooved discs.  You can get one at any
hardware or paint store, for about $3 or $4.  I use liquid detergent on
the pad and rinse with water after scrubbing (you can use distilled
water
if you want your friends to think you are a pro).  I dry the discs with
paper towels and do it fast hoping not to get too much lint in the
grooves.

I recently cleaned several hundred raw aluminum discs and for a
while I was using Noxon Metal Polish (with the paint edger pad),
but finally realized it was not making any difference to the sound
of my transfers, even tho it did appear to remove a small amount
of tarnish.

Areas of severe corrosion cannot be restored.  I used a tooth brush
and powdered cleanser to remove as much of the loose material
as possible, but severe corrosion obliterates the grooves, so there's
not any way "uncover" them: they aren't there any more!

Don't be afraid of aluminum: it's not exactly fragile.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
Transfers of metal parts, lacquers,
shellac and vinyl discs & tapes.