[78-L] Dubbing records, WAS: magix software..... messages

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 17 23:08:32 PDT 2012

I've had a standalone Tascam CDRW 900 CD recorder for several years.  Very
intuitive and excellent sound quality.  It's marketed to professionals, so
you don't have to use the more expensive music CDR blanks.  The price point,
however, is certainly reachable for many consumers and collectors of 78s.

Here's a link at Sweetwater, although I'm sure it's available at other
places.  I got mine from Tape Warehouse in Atlanta.

http://tinyurl.com/6qbsqtg

All that being said, for the last few years, I've been recording into my
computer using a Sony PCM-R700 DAT machine as my analog to digital converter
(they're really excellent for that - just press Input Monitor!).  The DAT is
hooked up to a mid-price range M-Audio Delta audio card in my computer via a
SPDIF coaxial cable.  I record the incoming signal in Goldwave, which is
cheap and excellent for .wav file editing.  The original master .wav files
are stored on redundant hard drives, and I make make .mp3s or burn audio CDs
very easily at a later time.

Using the DAT as an external A/D converter gets past the problem of letting
an audio card in the computer handle the conversion.  Computer are notorious
for introducing all kinds of noise into analog audio signals before they are
converted.

This is how I transfer 78s, reel and cassette tapes, and radio
transcriptions.

There are infinite flavors or recording methods.  What do others do?

Sammy Jones
(back from a long bout of not checking 78-L!)