[78-L] Radio Poets

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 14 12:52:36 PDT 2012

The regulations in question went into place in the middle of 1922 when
the broadcast band was reorganized into just two frequencies for all of
the stations to fit on!  Class A got the higher of the two frequencies
which had worse propagation, lower power allotments, and no restriction
on the use of mechanical reproductions.  The Class B stations got the
lower frequency and higher power allotments in exchange for not using
mechanical reproductions.  Before then there were no restrictions, so
most of your lists would come from that era and then from Class A
stations.  I think that WGY would have gotten an abatement to allow them
to air the optical sound recordings of Christmas messages in December
1922 that Charles Hoxie had recorded of celebs like VP Coolidge several
months earlier in Washington DC.

When the band was re-expanded, the ban on mechanical reproductions was
lifted.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com