[78-L] Deutsche Grammophon and Tempo questions

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Jun 12 06:00:08 PDT 2012

Within this Gr series, the last colour Nipper label image I have is 20860, by Efim Schachmeister.
Later pressings of this release have a green label with Nipper drawing.
I assume it was recorded c.Feb 1927, since Lange lists 20873 & 77 as Berlin 3/27 recordings.
20865 & Schachmeister's 20876 are known with the drawn label.

han enderman
===
>>> A couple of queries in my quest for knowledge about the German record industry:

Does anyone know the approximate month that Grammophon began electrical recording? Here's a Paul Godwin medley on DG 19536 that certainly sounds electric to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJvGmm4QPU

--but this Dave Caplan side from ca. November 1926 (DG 20789, and about 320 matrix numbers later than the above sides) sounds a bit more acoustic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLIN37lZu4

Also, at about what number and month did they retire the full-colour Nipper and «Schallplatte "Grammophon"» in favour of the simpler drawing and just «Grammophon» ?

Tempo has been used as a label name in several countries for labels focusing on varied material, but it was also the name of a German label operating from at least 1932. Can anyone tell me its starting and end dates, and what label(s), if any, it was affiliated with? (or was ultimately purchased by ;^)

-HA
<<<