[78-L] Berliner reproductions [fwd]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jun 9 10:34:55 PDT 2012

From: Kristjan Saag <saag at telia.com>
> Most of these "crazy" offers were probably made at a time when there
> were no new CD's available. Demand and supply.
> And when new pressings are out it takes some time to withdraw the $ 999
> offer.

Not at all.  I'm talking about things (mainly books) that were still in
print, had never gone out of print, were still available from Amazon
itself at regular price, and were also available from dozens of Amazon
dealers for very small prices.  And like Mike Harkin said, some of the
expensive copies are used when the inexpensive copies are new.

> Good business idea - for those who wish to profit from other people's
> desperate needs.  Kristjan

That does happen when things are truly out of print and not available
from anybody else, but I'm talking about things that are obviously not
rare but that dealers who don't check think could not possibly be
available.  I think that some of these dealers are cross-posting things
on every site such as Abe Books, B&N, Alibris, etc. and on some of these
there might not be another copy.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com