[78-L] Ray Bradbury

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Jun 8 11:06:15 PDT 2012

"You're a hopeless romantic," said Faber. "It would be funny if it were
not serious. It's not books you need, it's some of the things that once
were in books. The same things could be in the 'parlor families' today.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the
radios, and televisors, but are not. No,no it's not books at all you're
looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records,
old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look
for it in yourself. Books were only one type or receptacle where we
stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing
magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they
stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand
what i mean when i say all this. You are intuitively right, that's what
counts."
Ray Bradbury: "Fahrenheit 451/"