[78-L] EMI SACDs

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Jun 4 13:23:54 PDT 2012

EMI suddenly getting on the SACD bandwagon is very strange. The format is
indeed virtually dead except in Japan and some US audiophile issues that
are very expensive. I really wish that these companies would in fact get
behind a blu-ray reissue series, as there are many players in people's
homes at this point, and a blu-ray audiophile format has a good chance of
catching on.

Jeff Sultanof

There are still SACDs coming from Europe and England on labels such as Chandos, CPO, Pentatone, Audita, Tudor, Channel Classics, Harmonia Mundi, LSO, etc. to name just a few.  These SACDs are generally no more expensive than regular CDs, at least at the store I deal with.  There was a time, (and it's not much different now), when the only SACD players you could find were universal players which played DVDs and Blu Rays as well.  This was a huge inconvenience for me because my sound room is not video equipped and in order to program an SACD or a CD on one of these players you had to do it on a video screen.

db