[78-L] EMI SACDs ^^^^

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Jun 3 08:25:34 PDT 2012

If I may focus away from 78s for the moment, the most exciting news I've heard recently in the record world is the release of several legendary EMI recordings on SACD.  EMI completely eschewed the SACD format throughout its heyday from the mid nineties to the middle of the last decade, as it seems to have avoided the BLU-RAY format for its videos - even the Met opera recordings are advertised as being high definition but they are only available on regular DVDs.  Since the EMI vaults arguably contain the most important historic classical recordings, I'm sure some of the blame for the loss of interest in this format can be placed on the fact that this material was never included.  Hopefully this new series will catch on and re-ignite an interest in the SACD format.

db