[78-L] Have 78s ever been used for these military and intelligence agency pur poses?

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com
Thu May 31 08:33:15 PDT 2012

On 31/05/2012 04:21, Steve Shapiro wrote:
> Outside of movies and broadcasting, and without accounting for this list's usual Ken Griffin comments and jokes?
>
> See the video starring Bennett Cerf's son Christopher:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/30/torture-guantanamo-bay_n_1557294.html
>
> Under the scenarios depicted here, even Brahm's Lullaby could do the job./steve

I understand that specially pressed 78s were used to smuggle escape
material such as German money and maps into Prisoner of War camps during
WW2. I have seen a photo of an example and it was HMV that did the
pressing. The escape material came from MI9.

Seemingly, at Colditz, the first such record was broken by accident and,
unfortunately, a number of others were then broken without finding other
helpful items.

Doug