[78-L] Rozsa dates

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon May 28 16:35:03 PDT 2012

Ruppli's Capitol dg has no recording dates for the two 1950s sessions.

Some adjacent numbers (+ rec. dates) are:
H-425 Milt Herth, Jan 1953
H-443 Joe Fingers Carr, 17-24 Apr 1953
H-444 Dorothy Shay, 28-30 May 1953
H-445 Stordahl, Jun 1953
452 Can Can, 17 May 1953
H-455 Jackie Gleason, 7-8 Apr 1953.
H-458 Hackett, 11 May 1953
H-462 Kenton, 8 Jul 1953

Apparently nr 456 was attributed for 12" LP release between the Gleason and Hackett issues.
Were these issues in numerical order? I assume some were advertised in Billboard.

han enderman
===
>>> The 10'' LP with music from Quo Vadis (Capitol L 454 - not T 454) and
the 10'' LP with music from "Spellbound" (L 453 - not T 453) were, as
you say, suites - not just assorted cues from the soundtracks - which
probably motivated the new issues. Kloss and Rosza were close
collaborators and the Capitol 10'' LP's and the subsequent 12'' P 456
(later T 456) were most certailnly done with Roszas consent.
The release date of the P 456 seems to have been November 1953 -
Billboard has an article that mentions the issue:
http://books.google.se/books?id=aAoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46&dq=erich+kloss&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KNrDT8KiMszU4QTp__iRCg&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=erich%20kloss&f=false
Which means that the 10'' albums were out before that. Most
discographers have 1953 as issue date for both L 453 and L 454 (see, for
instance: http://www.bsnpubs.com/capitol/04capitol450-599.html) so early
1953 is a good guess, with recording dates in 1952.
Kristjan

On 2012-05-28 18:56, David Lennick wrote:
> Does anyone know the approximate recording dates for the Miklos Rozsa suites on
> Capitol T456 (ten-inch versions on T453 and T454)? The lp issues date from 1954
> but the recordings vary so much in quality and 1954 is a late date for a 1951
> score which had already appeared in soundtrack form on MGM.
>
> SPELLBOUND CONCERTO..Erich Kloss&  Frankenland State Orchestra (the recording
> is so muddy, I doubt that it's from as late as 1954)
>
> THE RED HOUSE..Rosza&  Studio Orchestra (this is definitely the 78RPM set
> recorded in 1947)
>
> QUO VADIS SUITE..Kloss&  Frankenland State Orchestra again (COULD be 1954..)
>
> dl
<<<