[78-L] whats the fate of blank cds..Marconi recording blanks..

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Wed May 23 12:56:39 PDT 2012

I have a fully functional Marconi Recordio but of course no Wilcox-Gay
blanks... (The Wilcox-Gay radio-recorders were assembled and branded by
Marconi in Canada.) I had read online that with moderately high weight
optical blanks could be used for needle cuts on home disc cutters.  So I
clamped a rotted CD-r (I'll have to make a spindle adaptor) and recorded a
minute of AM radio, and sure enough the results are excellent.  The disc
will play back fine on my Thorens TD-124 with V15MkIII 78 stylus.  In fact
it's very quiet though a bit wowwy.  I'll make a YouTube video of the
process.. Talk about retro-functionality!

The replacement for CDs will be USB sticks, which nowadays can be directly
read by most Bluray and DVD players and by TV sets and even amplifiers and
home entertainment units.  Heck there are even vacuum-tube amps on the
market with a USB slot and LCD menu readout! And in many cases the preferred
24 bit 96Khz sampling rate is supported.  I never, myself, make CDs except
on the odd occasion where I have to make an audio-only presentation at the
monthly musical film meetings.  Even then, their Panasonic Bluray player
would in fact accept USB sticks with music files at 24/96.

Steve Williams  ..

Message: 1