[78-L] Started buying 78's

S&R Pinsker spinsker at erols.com
Mon May 21 20:34:03 PDT 2012

Began with the "World's Greatest Music" from the NY Post sometime prior to WW2.
Real record stores? 1942 - Boston Music Company with listening booths in the back,
also a little hole in the wall around the corner from Symphony Hall where I got a few
blue shellac Columbias, a store near the Federal Bldg and then the dumping of Decca's
25,000 series classical line, probably at Jordan Marsh.
Three year hiatus for a "tour" of Europe via Ft Bragg during which time the family
moved to North NJ.
Elaine Music Shop was probably my most frequented store and the Columbia U
book store gave a 20% discount. I think Sam Goody was already in business on
9th Ave. Then I spent a couple of years as Soria's shipping clerk when LP's were
introduced. Not sure, but I think Cetra and VOX were the first indies to issue LP's,
mastered and pressed by Columbia, joined by Mercury which did its own processing.

re: the Reiner/Stevens Carmen; the French text at the beginning of Act 4 was
rewritten to fit Tyrone Guthrie's staging which moved the action from outside the
bull ring to Escamillio's suite at the Seville Hilton.

Bob P