[78-L] Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat May 19 21:52:22 PDT 2012

BTW - what were D F-D's 78rpm recordings?  Were the EMI db series recordings
the earliest?  Any other labels?
  In the past few years many CD's of early recordings (for example a 1948
Wintereise broadcast) have been issued.
  The first I was aware of his recordings were the Electrola LP's (green
edges on jackets) which must have been circa 1954.
  Is there an online discography?
THANKS!
Best wishes, Thomas.

I know I have English Columbia 78s by D F-D and I believe I also have some red labeled HMVs but I wouldn't swear to that, (I'm with the gang in Rochester right now so I can't check to see).  It's amazing to think that he was only in his early 20s when he made his 78s.  I wasn't aware of the Pressler 78s - would they have been cut direct to disc or would they have been taped first?

B.T.W., many thanks to the German professor!  I knew my spelling was wrong but I wasn't sure how.

It's nice to know that some classical 78 artists are still breathing but they are thinning out.

To Mike Harkin - I bought 78s from a dealer when they were still the current medium!

db