[78-L] Re; has anybody ever tried this?

leonard schwartz coonsanders at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 12:47:50 PDT 2012

thanks

lenny

________________________________
 From: Ken Matheson <kenmath at yahoo.com>
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:53 PM
Subject: [78-L] Re; has anybody ever tried this?

hi
ok say u download a tune from a website but u think u can edit and clean them up yourself?and if u did what was the outcome?were they
worse or better?
?
lenny

It can be done. There are advantages and disadvantages.

Sometimes the poster on the web has a much better
copy than you can obtain. The better the original copy
the better the restoration.

Some times the poster has already restored it.

Some noise programs, i.e. Pop and Crackle will work
somewhat adequate on MP3 files. If the pops and
crackle noise shapes have been altered the noise
reduction software can not see it.

However, most always the lead in, and dead wax area
will be missing. This is needed to capture a noise print.
This noise print is used to cancel out that kind of noise
in the recording.

The skill of the person digitizing the record may be lacking.
Please see my weekly postings of, record collecting, on
this list.

His equipment may be substandard. A horn of a crank
phonograph feeding into microphone does not hack it
for restoration. I better clarify that before I get jumped.
Some people like the record played through a crank
phonograph with all the crackle and pops. It also may
have wow and flutter which is difficult to remove.

Usually you get an MP3 file. This is a compressed file. A
compressed file will have some missing information. It
is much better to work with a .aif or .wav file made
directly  from a record.

Ken