[78-L] Jay Records (78rpm)

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu May 17 05:33:39 PDT 2012

Undoubtedly a pirate label: the Jay is the bird who steals.
They have white-green or blue (repressings?) labels.
There may be info in Geoffrey Wheeler's book on reissue labels.
ARLD lists 3 Jay labels. I assume this is the first, from poss. San Francisco.
Dating guide: 5 ca. '44. Maybe info in early Record Changers?

ARLD lists 2 Jay pop labels from:
1957 (Watertown, MA)
1958/59 (Sidney, OH).
I have images of a Jay label (# 501 & 503) from Buffalo, NY with Polish polka music.

han enderman
===
>>> Please, can someone provide a capsule history of the JAY label - appears to be
reissues of 20s/30s recordings -  bootleg??
Any relation to the LP era JAY Records 10" LPs ???

Thanks!
Best wishes, Thomas.
<<<