[78-L] another batch of burning questions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue May 15 07:45:33 PDT 2012

Have you seen the well-to-do
Up on Lenox Avenue
On that famous thoroughfare
With their noses in the air

High hats and narrow collars
White spats and fifteen dollars
Spending every dime
For a wonderful time

If you're blue
And you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where Harlem flits
Puttin' on the Ritz

Spangled Gowns upon the bevy of
High browns from down the levy*
All misfits
Puttin' on the Ritz

That's where each and every lulu-belle goes
Every Thursday evening with her swell beaus
Rubbin' elbows

Come with me and we'll attend their jubilee
And see them spend
Their last two bits
Puttin' on the Ritz

* I corrected a couple of misquotes but couldn't resist leaving that one
intact. That Levy and his high browns, my oh my..

dl